You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Stand-Alone Digital Recorders

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 HD24 to fireport to DP = clicks???
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Uncle Roel Offline
Giant Member

Location: Secret hide-out in between France and the Netherlands.

AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: HD24 to fireport to DP = clicks??? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm pretty stressed out. I've got a heavy deadline behind my back, a long day recording and planning, and I've got 2 very long days coming up with rehearsals, preperations and a concert on saturday evening.

One of the pieces that will be played will have tape playback (well, virtual tape that is). That tape is recorded in 5 takes, kindof droning thing, 15 to 20 musicians playing long notes, all takes will be played back together. Minimalistic music, hardcore.

Anyway, so today we recorded 2 more takes. We did 4 on a workshop with the composer 2 months ago. I recorded them with the preamps of our analog mixer, direct outs in the Alesis HD24. Then using a fireport and an old mac since alesis soft will not work on my tiger thingy, I exported the files on my external HD. Imported them into Digital Performer. Clicks all over the place.

Doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Two months ago this worked like a charm. I did the exact same thing!!! What the hell??

I do it this way instead of using a soundcard and recording directly into DP since it seemed to be a sollicion that couldn't fail! Anyone else had problems with this? I'm thinking/hoping it's a problem with the fireport. I'll be trying HD24Tools for the same process tomorrow in the hope that it really is a data transfer problem. (Given the randomness of the clicks on different tracks, I suspect this.) If anyone got tips, has heard rumors, please let me know!

I need this recording for the rehearsal tomorrow at 11. I was planning to prepare everything, importing the tracks etc tonight, and I'm going to the studio at 8 tomorrow to mix and bounce it. We can use only the previous takes for the rehearsal as a backup solution. But for the concert we really need these!

If you know something, help me out here. I don't have the time for this crap. Damnit!

gfh Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with any of these devices, but I'm sympathetic to these sorts of problems.

When you listen to the recorded material directly from the HD24, there are no clicks, right?

In your whole system, is there a way to set which device is the master clock? If so, you might want to try using the other one as the master to see if it goes away. I used to have that kind of problem back when I was using an AW16G and trying to dump data to my PC over SPDIF. I had similar problems when the clocks were set to different rates on the two devices, but that was more dramatic.

If you can't get it figured out soon, do you have the ability to dump it out to the computer using analog instead of digital? You might loose a tiny bit of quality going through the extra D/A/D conversion, but at least it won't be clicky.

This is all just a guess out of thin air.
rudibass2 Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have the time but you can transfer the files from the HD24 by setting up a FTP network to your pc or mac . It's very slow(like over night slow for 8-20 minute tracks ) but I've done it before I got a Fireport for it.

Mike

" Keep on rockin' in the free world !!"
Neil Young
Emeric Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt HD24tools will help you here. It sounds like a possible hardware problem with the Fireport. You have played back tracks from other projects in DP and ruled out DP and the mac right?

As rudibass2 suggested, you could use ethernet to move the files but it's wicked slow.

Uncle Roel Offline
Giant Member

Location: Secret hide-out in between France and the Netherlands.

AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, since DP is showing blue and red lines all over the imported audiotracks, I'm guessing that it's not a DP setup problem. Either the files or the importing of them.

I haven't tried playing back on the HD24. Since I just had the time to put them on my computer before I left, and I was preparing the projects from home, I couldn't try that. (Recorder is at the studio).

Anyway, I'm now importing them using HD24Tools. If there's still a problem, I'm gonna put the drive back in the recorder, and check if it has clicks. Then there's 2 options, either getting a USB tray and trying if the fireport is the problem (HD24Tools allows to transfer files using a regular tray), but that would take time, not as much as FTP though (which I will try lateron if needed, no time for that now). And the simple solution, as gfh suggested, recording it all in DP. Which would take over an hour too though. (Connecting it all + 2 22min tracks).

Thanks for answers!

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Stand-Alone Digital Recorders All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: