You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 preamp went up in smoke
View previous topic :: View next topic 
the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: preamp went up in smoke Reply with quote

OK, so here's what happened. I accidentally sent phantom power to my nice channel strip. There was a pop sound and smoke started rising from from it.

My question is: Isn't this fixable? Doesn't this just mean there's some little fuse or something that blew up?

The meter still jumps around when I send a signal to it. And the gain reduction meter still works when I use the compressor. So it seems like most of the unit still works...just part of it doesn't work.

Any electronics wiz out there that knows what would blow up if phantom power was sent to a preamp? I took the thing apart and I don't see what could have been smoking and nothing is hot to the touch.

???????????

(And I'm too poor to buy a new one. Sad )

the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was hoping there was a magic cure. Some gizmo such as a fuse that I could buy at radio shack and solder in place. But there aint. It's a little computer chip looking thingy that blew up. Aint no replacing that.

Fuck!

Sad Sad Sad

Emeric Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details? What is the 'strip'?
the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Presonus Eureka. It was my only nice pre. Sad ("Nice" meaning a stand alone unit that's better than the pre's on my mixer.)
skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain -- I was recording our band by running 1/4" instrument cables from our PA channel inserts to my interface. I'd forgotten to disable phantom power on the interface, and when I replaced the octopus of instrument cables with a 1/4" balanced to xlr snake, the phantom power fried two channels on both the PA and my interface. I'm so bummed. The PA's an easy fix -- an authorized Behringer dealer will replace the entire surface of the board with one he has in his shop (he has several with fried power supplies) for $75. It's the FW1884 that's killing me. I need at least ten inputs, and now I'm down to six, and we're in the middle of recording a demo.

Bloody hell.

WKWizard Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presonus has good customer support from my experience. Contact them.
Dethska Offline
...the other WATYF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inhabitant wrote:
Well, I was hoping there was a magic cure. Some gizmo such as a fuse that I could buy at radio shack and solder in place. But there aint. It's a little computer chip looking thingy that blew up. Aint no replacing that.

Fuck!

Sad Sad Sad

Actually, you can replace the computer chip looking thingy. It's just harder. If you knew what part it was, you could probably find it at Digikey and then you need someone who can solder to make the switch. You'd also need to know if anything else blew up.

A reputable repair shop could probably fix it for you for not too much coin, I'd imagine.

the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dethska wrote:
the inhabitant wrote:

Fuck!

Sad Sad Sad

Actually, you can replace the computer chip looking thingy. It's just harder. If you knew what part it was, you could probably find it at Digikey and then you need someone who can solder to make the switch. You'd also need to know if anything else blew up.

A reputable repair shop could probably fix it for you for not too much coin, I'd imagine.

hmmmm...ok maybe I try that...

the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skulpter wrote:
I feel your pain -- I was recording our band by running 1/4" instrument cables from our PA channel inserts to my interface. I'd forgotten to disable phantom power on the interface, and when I replaced the octopus of instrument cables with a 1/4" balanced to xlr snake, the phantom power fried two channels on both the PA and my interface. I'm so bummed. The PA's an easy fix -- an authorized Behringer dealer will replace the entire surface of the board with one he has in his shop (he has several with fried power supplies) for $75. It's the FW1884 that's killing me. I need at least ten inputs, and now I'm down to six, and we're in the middle of recording a demo.

Bloody hell.

Sad

the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WKWizard wrote:
Presonus has good customer support from my experience. Contact them.

Ya think? Even if it's a couple years old and I did something stupid to make it smoke like a chimney?

the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inhabitant wrote:
Dethska wrote:
the inhabitant wrote:

Fuck!

Sad Sad Sad

hmmmm...ok maybe I try that...

and thanks yo!

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: