You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 What gear to buy...
View previous topic :: View next topic 
jelstro Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: What gear to buy... Reply with quote

I wasn't really sure which board to put this on, but this seemed a close match. Here's the deal:

I just graduated from college and as my present my parents are giving me a couple hundred bucks to spend on gear/software and I'm planning on throwing in a bit of my own savings.

Now, my ideal studio (which everyone of course already has picked and priced out right?) is about $4000-$4500, but right now I'm looking to just put together something in which I can record my own acoustic/one man band project or other people's small projects from start to finish without borrowing anything (in the past I got to use my school's equipment or borrowed from friends).

My budget is in the $700-$800 range and I would love to get (but I'm also aware that it's not probable on this budget):

-Digital interface preferably w/ firewire, midi in, and two mic inputs
-Condenser mic (2 if possible)
-Headphones
-Studio monitors

I'm not looking for the best stuff, but I would like for whatever I buy to be decent now and still be useful when I start my studio job in a few months or can afford to get my "dream gear".

Also, I'm considering an MBox2 or the Mini so I can have PT LE... but they each have a few minor flaws that make me not want to spend that much money on them.

So does anyone have any suggestions or know of any good deals?
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever consider buying used? My G4/Digi 001 setup works great for basic recording/mixing. You can probably find a good turn-key setup for well under $1K from someone who's "upgrading".

I put upgrading in quotes because with all the problems with new PTLE setups I hardly see 'em as an upgrade. Laughing

jelstro Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I'm looking at some clearance and refurbish stuff and I've been able to keep it under $800 in total.

Do you know any good reliable sites or stores for used stuff? I'm just a bit hesitant because, while I'm a big advocate of shopping online, I've never bought anything used online (I don't even have an E-Bay account!!! Shocked ).
joro Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jelstro wrote:
So far I'm looking at some clearance and refurbish stuff and I've been able to keep it under $800 in total.

Do you know any good reliable sites or stores for used stuff? I'm just a bit hesitant because, while I'm a big advocate of shopping online, I've never bought anything used online (I don't even have an E-Bay account!!! Shocked ).

Try your local Craigslist..........

You'll be able to check out the equipment before you buy and you'll probably get the best deals because people are looking for the quick sell on Craigslist....
and it's another good way to network...

good luck man....

M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on craigslist. I've bought a lot of my gear through there. I don't do the eBay/Paypal thing myself. I just use CL to hook up with local sellers so I can check out the gear, and deal with the seller in person.
Danziel Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My set-up has been pretty affordable. I got the Fast Track Ultra for around 440$. It can be good for drums as it has 4 mic pre's and another 2 quarter inch plus 2 spidf inputs. It works with pro tools M- powered. Then I got a deal for 2 MXL condensor mics for a $100 at guitar center. My monitors were $100. They are Tascam flat monitors with a subwoofer. You can get a decent pair of headphones for about $40. AKG's are good. add pro tools m-powered for $250 and a little over 800 bucks. Dont foget micellaneous hardware like cables, and mic stands.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: