You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Hum in A&H GL2400
View previous topic :: View next topic 
mam Offline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Hum in A&H GL2400 Reply with quote

Anybody else have this problem? I just purchased a GL2400/24 to replace a Mackie 8 buss. I have a musical hum ... somewhere between an Eb and an E. I called my supplier and they shipped me another one. Same thing. Studio was totally quiet before I replaced the Mackie. I can totally disconnect the board from the system and just run the outputs to a headphone amp. Still hums. Cancelling clients ain't cool.

Now if I was my supplier, first thing I'd say is "it's your studio!". But I'm not thinking so. Heck I can plug in a cheapo behringer board and it's quiet as can be. ARGHHHHHHHH!
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds electrical. Just for yuks, you could try and plug it into an outlet on a different circuit with a grounded extension cord and see if that helps. I ran into this issue with a tube mic ...something to do with being on a different leg in the breaker panel. Skod is our resident expert and might chime in, but it might be worth a try.
mam Offline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply! Yup, I already did that. Matter of fact, I took the board over to the building next door and the noise was still there. Now just for the sake of "I don't know what the hell to do", I tested the first board again last night before packing it up to ship back. The noise was gone. Replacement board still has it, original new board is quiet at the moment. Maybe I'm going insane! Shocked
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's a gremlin monk humming in the corner behind the trash can Smile

Glad you got it workin'. I wish I could swing a GL2400. I'm about to pick up a Yamaha MG24 ...definitely a step or 2 lower, but it's the best I can afford.

skod Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost hate to say it- but that board has a lineup oscillator, doesn't it? Any chance that it leaks through when it is turned on but not assigned? I had an old Studiomaster once that did this- it was obnoxious enough that I opened it up, cut the power trace to the oscillator, and installed a little toggle switch to disable the oscillator _completely_ when I didn't want it... Might be worth checking, even though that 1kHz is closer to a B than an E. Might be hearing some harmonic or the like...
mam Offline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks skod. The board has a recessed defeat switch to prevent that kind of thing. The story gets even more interesting now. The "first" new board (which hasn't been sent back yet) is purring like a kitten with no noise at all. I haven't changed a damn thing! The "second" new board that they delivered on Friday is out in the tracking room and it buzzes like crazy. Again, the ac power is clean and nothing is plugged into the board. I gotta send one back, but heck, now I have to decide between the two. It's almost like the first board needed a "burn in" time.. I've had the second new board running all day to test it. I'll be checking it later to see how the noise is.
My supplier has got to be thinking I'm flakey! But heck, I really don't think that my studio's causing the problem.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm thinkin' seanmorse is right about the gremlin monk! Rolling Eyes
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: