You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 need gear advice from some more knowledgeable people
View previous topic :: View next topic 
acmesoundco Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: need gear advice from some more knowledgeable people Reply with quote

I have a mackie onyx 1640 with firewire out that i originally bought for use live. I've recently started doing some in the studio tracking and have come across some limitations that i was wondering if there was a workaround for.

Essentially the one stereo out is killing me. I use the aux sends on the board to build everyones monitor mixes, but i cant send the click track through those channels, so i give the drummer the only mix coming out of logic. The problem is because he is specific in what he needs to hear, I now can't get a decent monitoring mix to listen to everything I'm recording. So i guess my question is, is there a way to use the mackie board (i do like the sound of the pres on it compared to some stuff i've seen other people use) and then output that to some other AD/DA to send to my comp (a macbook pro) that would have more outputs, or is there a standalone metronome that can somehow sync with logic but i could put it through a channel strip on my board to get it through an aux.

thanks in advance for your advice.
ShakesTheClown Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a regular metronome... The band will play to this click as it records to it's own channel in Logic. Click in...Click on playback, and you have a visual timeline for editing.
rudibass2 Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Mackie to sub mix my drums for live and recording . In the studio I sub mix the toms and pan , eq , and use the main outs to two channels on a Presonus FirePod . I direct out the snare and inner bass from the Mackie to 2 more PreSonus channels . Overheads and room mics I use the PreSonus pre amps . I have a little Behringer 2 channel FCA202 daisy chained to the Presonus that I use for any extra mic , like a side snare of front bass mic out of the Mackie subs or direct outs .

This also leaves lots of monitoring options available . I use a Tama Rhythm Watch in to the Aux 4 on the Mackie when tracking alone since it options to a C/R - phones only output . With multiple players just feed a Send/return on the monitoring channel or mix out of your DAW .

Mike

" Keep on rockin' in the free world !!"
Neil Young
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I don't need it anymore- I initially recorded a click and then bounced to a 24 bit file, which I then imported into the session- Since I purposely have a summed mono headphone mix (stereo seems to mess with a lot of folks) I could use the left stereo send for the click and right stereo for the mix, and send the click to whomever by panning their channel to th middle so it picks up L and R equally before summing. someone doesn't want the click, they get panned R

it was a pain to have to record the varios tempos, but it worked

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
acmesoundco Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried using this method http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

which is called setting up an aggrevate device, where the comp treats 2 or more interfaces as one virtual device. My friend has a firewire 8x8 interface and im gonna give this method a shot in a day or two.

Of all the solutions posted if this one works i think ill; be the happiest with it.

plus im sure i could find a way to use 8 more inputs hehehe Wink
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: