You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Which one of these mixers would you get for around $600?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Mozart Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Which one of these mixers would you get for around $600? Reply with quote

In your opinion what is a good mixer for $600? I have my eyes set on the Mackie Onyx 1220 12-Channel Mixer, I like this one because I can add an firewire interface to it later on. I've recently started thinking about the Soundcraft M Series M4 12-Channel Mixer or one of the new Yamaha's. This will be my first mixer and I plan on using logic but that will come later on. I'm not even sure how many channels I really need. I need a mixer with a good preamp on it too.

Also I'm going to be doing this in a small room that is not acoustically treated. Is the electronics serf reflexion filter 3.5 worth $300 for recording vocals for hip hop and singing?
WKWizard Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what your needs are. Are you doing only vocals?
Mozart Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah for right now just vocals and maybe a bass guitar. I would also like to use it as a control surface if possible.
acmesoundco Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mackie onyx is a great mixer for the price range, the firewire option is great if you dont mind the only 1 output back from your comp. That said I purchased it because i could use it in 3 applications, a live board, a live tracking interface, and a studio interface. Whats nice is the firewire comes out after the the preamps but before the eq, mutes, faders etc. which is really nice because you can remix, (or even replace) any tracks after the show. The only major downside of using this in the studio is there is only 1 stereo output from your software. This means you need to do all your monitoring mixes for the musician in aux channels and they cant hear the effects or click coming back from logic.

Its great as a first interface and is a fantastic mixer, the pres sound nice, and i havent had any latency noted even with 16 tracks recording at the same time (i have the 1640)

goodluck with whatever you choose.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: