You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Signal Processing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Preamp Favorites
View previous topic :: View next topic 
full_bleed Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Preamp Favorites Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what preamp do you find yourself always going back to for a particular instrument?

I don't have much choice as all I own are firepods and a bluetube. BTW the first recordings I did with the bluetube sound fantastic but suddenly it sounds like trash when I record. Not sure what happened but I really wish it didn't. :/
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to my JoeMeek VC3 quite a bit, usually for vocals. It colors the sound in a way I like, and I get braver these days with the optical compression. Good stuff. I do like my new VTB1 too, which is becoming my new go-to for most anything else.

When I'm recording a full-band, I'm still using the pre's in the Yammy ...what I wouldn't give for an Onyx...

erichenryus Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, my little green box (VC3) just died. I never really loved it but it served me well for many years. I ordered a Great River ME-1NV to replace it, which will become my go to preamp cause it will be my only preamp. LOL.
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll use the Focusrite pre's that come with the C|24* (supposedly"similar" to the platinums... definitely better than the Digi002's)

I've got a BlueTube and use it mainly for warming a bass ->DI and for people who insist on plugging in their acoustic guitars- If the sound has gone trashy I suspect the tube- the stock tubes are generic Chinese tubes - I noticed a definite improvement both in depth of warmth (more noticable changes with ghanging the pot) and it was much less noisy- I used a NOS Phillips JAN 5751 to replace the stock 12AX7

For drums I use the Presonus DigiMax pre's

for everything else it's the Prism- I have a Bellari tube compressor which I'll occaisionally use in the chain

I picked up an old Altec Lansing 1700C preamp with compressor- It's actually a 6 channel mixer, but the cards are programable for phantom, low shelf, high shelf so I've got it set for the various options... all that's left is some soldering on the XLR's to the Molex connector and I hope to start using that I've jury-rigged so I know it functions... how good tho is another question Rolling Eyes

* and Sean I'm not telling you the location of the C|24... it's a secret Laughing

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erichenryus wrote:
I ordered a Great River ME-1NV to replace it, which will become my go to preamp cause it will be my only preamp. LOL.

I'll bet a hand-built dreadnought would sound money through that bad boy...
And I though the pre's on my Toft ATC-2 were pretty spiffy... Actually, they are, but Great River is in a seperate class from what I've read.
I use the Toft as much as possible, and always on vocals and acoustic guitar.

Actually, the pres on my Tascam FW1884 sound very good to my ears. They're definitely a step up from the Edirol interface I was using before. They're just not quite as rich as the Toft.

Apogee and RME are also great bets.

erichenryus Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plugged in the Great River for a test run. It is definitely my 'go to' LOL. I mean my only other choice is the input on my converter but holy crap what a difference!
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Signal Processing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: