You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Mixing Dispute!
View previous topic :: View next topic 
SAB Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Mixing Dispute! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Hopefully this can be cleared up.

I realize that everyone's ways are a bit different when it comes to mixing songs but I saw two different videos regarding mixing and here is what I learned:

First video:

- used a lot of eq'ing to control frequencies and make the parts fit well together. Most of the eq'ing was related to subtractiving in which frequencies were cut out instead of putting frequencies in.
- on the master bus, he used some plugin's to bring the mix together and make it feel like there is more presence.

Second video:
- used a lot of compression to control the instruments and it helped to make them sit well in the mix. Very little eq'ing was performed on the focal instruments but he did do some adding of eq instead of subtracting.
- nothing was used on the master bus, the mix was raw except for a little reverb.

Although both seemed to work well, which is the least preferred or the most preferred method in your opinion.

Thank you.
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the genre, IMO. For thick rock stuff, I'll cut freqs to clear up the mix. For clean acoustic stuff I try to avoid it if I can.

I always use compression on tracks, almost always on the bus. Obviously, no formula -depends on genre, how it was mic'd, how it was performed, etc...

SAB Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seanmorse,

Makes sence, he track where he used mostly compression was more of an accoustic piece without too much distorted guitars. The piece that had guitars and was rock, he used eqing mostly.

Thanks.
damion Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

Yeah it's all taste. When it was recorded there might had been some processing already making the mix time just easier. dialing in the sound before hand can be risky but getting the right sound at the source is a good idea. Compression, EQ, and gating is common practice.

So then in mix down adding a bit more compression or perhaps subtractive EQ is the only way to tighten things up. It all depends on the source and the sound. Niehter is wrong but dependant on song.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: