You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Dafduc's Steve Gibbs Class A Recording Amp
View previous topic :: View next topic 
harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Dafduc's Steve Gibbs Class A Recording Amp Reply with quote

I'm in charge of selling Jay Ricketts' (aka. Dafduc) extensive collection of gear. One of the pieces is a Steve Gibbs 'Class A' Recording Amp (Jay's name for it). The amp is in a repair shop, right now getting a cleaning and tube check-up.
The problem is that I have no idea what it is worth. There is very little reference to Steve Gibbs on the web. What there is refers to an amp called the "Booker", which WAS built by Steve Gibbs, a former Hiwatt tech.
This amp is by no means in the same class as the Booker. It's in an ugly green tolex cabinet with a badly warped speaker grill cloth and is very low watts (1-6l6, 1-12ax7 and another tube). The amp is obviously hand-made. It's also signed by 'a person named Steve Gibbs'. The repair shop guy called it a "Fender Champ" knockoff.
My question is, does anybody know anything about this specific amp? Did Dafduc write or speak to anybody about it? Where he bought it might help as I could call the person/store and ask questions.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx,
David T
joro Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Gibbs is "Upstate Steve" or Upstate NewYork"...or....

Steve.. Cool

Steve is/was a regular on this board until he dropped everything last month and headed for Cali with the shirt on his back...

the amp is hand made...by Steve.... he had started a business but, his partner passed away shortly after it was started and the company never did have a chance to shine....

I am gonna guess that they made between a dozen and 20 amps total....

I actually liked the green ones...

I have had the pleasure of playing through a few at Jamfest in CT....

this is where Jay got the amp...I remember it well....

the value of the amp is more sentimental than practical...

Jay wanted to help Steve and his new company get off the ground....so he bought one...

another piece of Jay's legacy I suppose...
sorry I couldn't be of more help...
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harpo-

I've always wanted a Champ or one of the 'clones' and I'd be even be more delighted having one that has a history in RP ( Jay and Steve)- I do hope you will list in the classified section of RP- I'd like the opportunity to atleast think about it Wink

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I thought someone in this forum would know about the amp, but I didn't expect such a quick reply. Thanks, gents!
I WAS hoping it would be one built by Steve Gibbs of Hiwatt in the U.K. but the fact that it was built by an RP member is also very cool! I can't wait for it to get back from the shop so I can test it out. It had a fried capacitor or something and the tubes may have been bad. It looks like it had an accident or was loaded badly, or something.
We'll have it at the Ducfest for use. I'd like to try it out with my harmonicas. I'll bet it sounds great for harp. The repair guy will advise me on the type of tubes to use for various sounds. And the amp will be for sale at the Ducfest. If it doesn't sell there I'll be sure to let you know, Stainless. I'll also post with my feelings about it's sound when it's done. The tech. said about two weeks, about the end of April or beginning of May. The green tolex sort of grows on ya', also. Maybe something can be done about straightening the grill cloth out like stretching it on a frame instead of the staples in the baffle it has now.
Ducfest or Bust!
David T
dtb Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so remember that jamfest when Steve would get someone to plug in and play while he stood there changing tubes, from his huge box' o tubes, it was like hitting a stompbox with all the different sounds each different tube would make. and loud was not even close to the discription, at like 5 watts or whatever the different power tubes would do. god I miss them times.

JAMFEST 2010---HERE WE COMe
www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

Giant Member

Location: The smoke filled back room where it all really happens

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were called STAND amps - [St]eve and [And]y.

Steve's friend Andy did the electronics and Steve built the cabinets. Unfortunately they sold only a few of the amps before Andy got sick. I bought the first one they finished and paid them $400 for it. I would guess that a fair price would be in that neighborhood, given that it is a hand built amplifier. I've never had a problem with mine and it has a warm, clean tone, perfect for my jazzbox. The circuitry is based on the Fender Champ design - very basic, very clean, point to point wiring, high quality cabinet.

HERE THERE BE MOOSIC
harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Treeline. Knowing the price is a big help! Hopefully someone at Ducfest will go home with it. It's not back from the repair shop, yet (should be this week). The repair guy is going to improve it a bit. He's mounting the amp better, into the cabinet with bolts. and a couple other small improvements (mostly cosmetic). He called it a "Champ Replica" on the work order.
Can't wait to get it back!
David T
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one takes it at Ducfest (I will not be able to attend... previously booked gigs ... and California is a long ways)

... consider it sold!

harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it, bud! I just made a note on the inventory list. If noone takes it home from Ducfest, I'll contact you. It should be easy to ship (double box and wrap the tubes, separately).
Don't hold your breath, though. I think there's going to be some competition to own this amp. Kind of multiple reasons for someone to own this particular amp.
Regards,
David T
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly.... but I'm standing by! Jay helped me out with answers more than a few times.... I'd be honored to have something of his! Tho I never met him he came across as a very sincere individual who truly cared about others

a rare breed in this day and age

harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That he was!
harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Ducfest I plan to put what's left in the RP classifieds before going to eBay/Craigs List.
harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the Steve Gibbs amp back from the shop.
It was in VERY bad shape. Not to be disrespectful to Steve Gibbs, or anyone else, but the repair guy said many of the wiring was backwards and the speaker was from a stereo cabinet. He put a vintage Oxford speaker in and rewired the amp so that everything works well. He also mounted the amp solidly in the cabinet and tightened up the baffle and the grill cloth. Man! It looks good and sounds fantastic! A great blues amp tone!
I believe this is what Daf (Jay) would have wanted done with the amp. Total cost of the repair came to $220.51, so that will have to be the minimum bidding price for anyone wanting to purchase it at the Ducfest.
We'll have it on display and ready to use there. Come-On Down and try it out!
David T
kgirl72 Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could buy some of his gear. Maybe the one thing I wanted was that FatHead mic he had, but I let it go to Harpo. Saving money! (My boyfriend would probably buy it, but I won't ask him to, lol) That's awesome you got a whole different amp out of the deal. Glad it's sounding good, and hopefully someone will take it home with them.
www.youtube.com/kf10126
harpo1954 Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, kgirl.
I think it's what Jay would have done with it had he had the time. I left the Paris amp at the shop because it was also not working. That should be an inexpensive repair. I think the Steve Gibbs amp will be a hit at the Ducfest.
Man! I miss Jay! His organ sits empty at St. Elizabeth's in front of the band and choir. My Gospel bass playing is getting better and I think he would approve of the embellishments I'm adding to fill-in the holes that he used to do. The choir still sings out of tune way too much, but there's a touch of brilliance and a rawness that Jay loved to exploit. I miss him!
David T
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: