You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Drummers

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Drum Heads and Cymbal Cleaning
View previous topic :: View next topic 
uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Drum Heads and Cymbal Cleaning Reply with quote

On average, what is the cost of replaceing all of the drum heads? The kit that I have is an old rental kit that we rented, and then bought, so its seen some wear. Do I only need to replace the batter head, or resonant head as well? I'm in the UK, so GBP prices would help, if not, i'll just take the US prices, as they tend to be the same in the UK. My god its expensive here.

Next question, also need to do a deep clean on the cymbals, as they are basically brown. Advice? I have seen that it helps to get a tub of boiling water to soak them in to remove a lot of the outer dirt layers, then use a cleaner/stupid amounts of elbow grease to get them to shine. Also, I've heard/read about a "brillaint" process, which I assume is just mechanical aided super-buffing. In general, thoughts?

Btw, greetings to all in drum world!!

A Friends Band I Record For: www.myspace.com/theblackzetas
My own stuff: www.myspace.com/uneducatedweasel
Dethska Offline
...the other WATYF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to shine cymbals a few times, and it's always way more trouble than it's worth for me. I've never heard about boiling. I just grabbed the cymbal cleaner and a rag and worked on getting tendonitus in my elbows and wrists.

New heads can REALLY help an old drum set. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and replace EVERY head (resonant and batter). Once you replace the resonants they are good for a long time (depending on how much it gets played).

I'd guess around $200 roughly to replace all the heads. But you might be able to find some all-in-one packs that bring the cost down. Heads are stupid expensive, but it's hard to avoid changing them out every once in awhile.

Voxxy Brown Offline
Custom Tittle

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically in north america drum heads are around the $15-$20 mark. (not including kick drum, which can be $40-50 a side)

So, it really depends on how many drums you have, etc.

I'm a new head freak. I see bands gigging and the drumkit has ductape all over the heads and big dents in them etc. Crazy.

I actually probably change the heads a bit too often if anything. I just like the sound/look/feel of fresh heads all over the kit. I get a $40 allowance a week for my personal spending pleasure, very often I blow it on heads. LOL

As for the cymbals... I just use the cleaner stuff and a few rags. I do it pretty often. I hate grimey cymbals. I don't think it's a sound thing. I just don't like the way it looks. I take pride in the appearance of my gear.

Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash my cymbals with soap every now and then, but I don't want them to be shiny.
You definitely should consider buying new heads. Evans G2 on toms, remo ambassador on snare, or... evans and aquarian have a 'vintage' series, those are pretty cool.
Evens G2 and the ones with the damping rings have been my favorite bass drum heads so far. Fiberskins too, but only for a jazzy sound.

uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a rock person, so heads that have more thunk, only in a good way, to them would be best. I swapped the hi-hat so that the bottom one is on the top, which looks almost new, and the sound difference was amazing, to me at least. Just have to ask, my hovercraft is full of eels?

Voxxy Brown Offline
Custom Tittle

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of hihat sets have different thicknesses for top and bottom, and flipping them could give you a slightly different sound.. heck, Bonham used to have totally different sized.. A 14" top and a 15" bottom, (or vice versa)

Or, it could be that your stick is hitting a clean shiny surface and getting a slight bit more attacky sound, than the filthy old top one.

Who knows.

Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uneducatedweasel wrote:
Just have to ask, my hovercraft is full of eels?
... My nipples explode with the light!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN9mP2_1A-c

I play mostly jazz and make a lot of noise, but I record mostly rock and pop. I found the coated g2 to be a good compromise. Not that I won't get a completely different set of heads the next time I need one... Aquarian Satin is next... Those are awesome on the snare for brush work out of the box... The Ambassadors need a week or two... not that I expect you to care about brush response. Very Happy

uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, at the videa! Right, back on topic, looking at my kick drum, the tom rack is near the resonant head, so they are quite far away, and often uncomfortable. If I swap the heads around to bring the toms nearer, would there be any particular damaging effect. The only one I can think of is that the resonant head would no longer be raised off the ground, but i could theoretically use a piece of strong acoustic foam to do the same job, If i remember my old physics lessons correctly. Looked at the G2's and you can get a set of 12,13,14,16 heads that would fit my drums for about 35, and a kick batter head for about 25ish.

Koch Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing that you must keep in mind when you changing the drumheads is: select the proper drumheads for your kind of music, properly seat them, and tune them. As for me, I use remo emperror x for the snare top and tune in A, evans 500 for bottom, tune D. Kick 22'' Evans Emad 2 batter, Evans resonant BD22RB, and tune them both in E
uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replaced the batter heads on the snare and toms so far, for a gig. They were the real emergency ones. You couldn't see through them, and they are clear. Got just a Remo pinstripe pack. Cheap, it did it for the gig. Its an ex-rental kit, so realistically it will never sound great

roman Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of a set is it?
You can make most sets sound better than you might think just by head selection and tuning.
The only thing that can make a drum really untuneable is if the edges or hoops are uneven. You can check that with a flat surface and a ruler or string.

uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premier Set. I don't know any more than that. As I said, ex-rental, so very likely cheap. Olympic maybe? I think that is their cheapo kit. Zildjian cymbals (currently brown), hat crash and ride. "Standard" size drums, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 22 kick I think

WKWizard Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pic and I can tell you exactly which model. I have a Genista set. Nice drums!

I only clean the cymbals around the edge. When cymbals become tarnished, it mellows the sound...which I like on most my cymbals.
galichon Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah premier... I have a set of Premier Signia drums (maple) and love 'em! As for cleaning cymbals, I've had good success cleaning my cymbals with Noxxon. It's quite a bit cheaper than products which are intentionally marketed as "cymbal cleaners". My cymbals are all B20 Bronze - and Noxxon lists Bronze as one of the metals its good for. The first time I tried this, I did it on my least expensive cymbal (just in case). Brilliant shine and no harmful side effects. Just be sure to clean your cymbals in a well-ventilated area. Good luck.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Drummers All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: