View previous topic :: View next topic 
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Voxxy Brown Offline
Custom Tittle

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafduc wrote:
Voxxy Brown wrote:
I listened to the HR one for 7 minutes! LOL I got it in the mail at work, and skimmed it in the car on the way home and thats it.

This one's better than the HR. Despite Brad and Slack's absence. And yours, and foo's, and jamal's.

There's some top-notch work on the CD, and NONE of it sucks, which I could not honestly say about the HR CD's, or the musicplayer.com ones I've bought.

And don't forget, I've ridden with you. I don't think you listen to ANY CD for more than 7 minutes. We heard like 30 seconds of every tune on your Sloan CD while we were driving to the beach. If you can't listen to an entire tune on your favorite band's CD, then I'm just sayin'...

I was giving you guys a peek across their entire catelogue. I listen to whole albums when I am alone, or when I am with someone I'm not trying to impress. That 8 minutes you were in my car was hardly a peek into my true listening methods. Cool

Anyways.. I really should skip these threads. I realize I am coming across like an ass that doesn't appreciate any of the work of musicians here. Thats not the case, but I see how it's impossible to not come across that way when i'm at this point of view.

Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've got a couple hundred sitting here. We'll definately be using them as promo items in giveaways and such. If anybody does have any specific promotional use for one then they should definately contact me and I'll hook them up....I don't just want to hand them out willy nilly though.

"The object of this invention is to record in permanent characters the human voice and other sounds, from which characters such sounds may be reproduced and rendered audible again at a future time." U.S. Patent No. 200,521, Feb. 19, 1878.
christiaan Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played this comp cd dozens of times and I still listen to it regularly. Some songs more than others but I can hum along with every single one of them. I also own HR II and I think Dafduc is right. As a whole the RP comp is better (as you should expect. A comp cd should as a rule top the previous one).

Too bad I'm not on it or I would have bought 10 of them Laughing

Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, HR II was boatloads better than HR I. Though the Genius That Is Brad (TM) was off the chart on both.

Daf

The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops.

- St. John Chrysostom
pdknkow Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafduc thanks so much for redirecting me from Aux Bus. I have been spending a lot of time there because I want to stay connected even though my studio is on the fritz atm. (not for long though) I think i said this earlier if you need testimonials on the quality of this site I can be cheerleader number one. I love the depth and the family.

A good discussion about drumming up participation on the boards is healthy. There are portions of this board I would defend to the wall as well and not change a thing. Everyone I have shown this board to has been very impressed! I actually still kinda feel like a newb though. The vets around here have helped me tremendously..and lots of great friends.

The microphone giveaway seemed reasonable. A nice tactic to get people to check in once in a while and particpate. I dont' think I would go any higher in value though.

Anyway I just want to say these boards are integral to my development as a studio owner, writer and musician. Thanks a million.

Call me 'sweetheart' one more time Nanook, and it's on. - Brad
scrubs Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the shiny RP Comp CD banner in your sig, just paste the following into your profile:

Code:
[url=http://www.recordingproject.com/compcd/index.php][img]http://www.recordingproject.com/ads/images/componsale.jpg[/img][/url]

Pimp that shit!

Hotz Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dispelled_myths wrote:
You know, I don't know how workable this is, but I'm assuming a couple things...one is that there were a ton of them pressed (relatively speaking, maybe 500) and a fair number of those (like, maybe 400?) left over. The second is that these are not going to be doing much more than sitting in Slack's place or storage for the most part.

Assuming very few sell in the next little bit, maybe just keep fifty or so for any occasional sales (and to have on archive as a part of RP.com and, let's face it, music history...Wink ). Even with that many, occasionally giving them away in RP contests etc. would mean they're available should anyone want one.

The rest? Why not make them site promo materials? I bet there are a bunch of regulars here who wouldn't mind talking to a local town radio station, or independent record store, and putting a few there for them to display. Even if they're sold for 5 bucks, and the money is given to a charity (Society for spouses of Tone Deaf Tuba Players, for example), the CD itself is out there with RP.com's name. Maybe a member here knows their small town newspaper has someone who reviews CDs and turns a review of it into an article on online music and recording/collaborations...or whatever. It wouldn't work in a big city, but small towns and smaller publications are always looking for content, so its possible to get that stuff done fairly easily.

It probably does very little in terms of promotion, but at least the CDs are getting some use and spread the site a little further afield.

Whoa! That was some strong response in less than a day!

Actually, this sounds a lot like my problem. I had a punk band, FuriousGeorge, who recoreded an album. Being my first project ever, we decided to order 500 CD's, knowing full well we'd never sell them, but thinking that for $10 a pop, we'd only have to sell X number of CD's to break even, and then after that, it's like 500% profit per CD.

And now we're $500 in the hole!

I don't know how or where you got them pressed, but my (other) bands have been looking at Blind Dog Studios (www.blinddogstudios.com) for a low cost, low run production. We KNOW we can't sell 500, so why bother buying them all? Just a thought for future ventures on RP's part!

And Promo's sound like a great idea, especially in the areas where some of the artists who performed on the Comp. live! I know personally at least two radio stations in my area who would.

And lets just say you got the total up to four now! (As soon as I teach some private lessons this weekend!)
Dethska Offline
...the other WATYF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you order it'll be five. gidge also ordered one today. At this rate we'll go gold in no time at all.
Slackmaster2K Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotz wrote:
I don't know how or where you got them pressed, but my (other) bands have been looking at Blind Dog Studios (www.blinddogstudios.com) for a low cost, low run production. We KNOW we can't sell 500, so why bother buying them all? Just a thought for future ventures on RP's part!

Actually quantities less than 1,000 from blinddog are duplicated, not replicated. In other words, they're CDR. This is pretty common. Most places won't do real CDs in quantities under 1,000, sometimes 500.

We use QCA for our projects. I used them for HR2 and some other stuff and have been impressed overall. They will do real CD replication in quantities as low as 300, and the price at that level is actually pretty reasonable. It's about $730 for 300 units with 4 panel color inserts, two color disc screening, jewel case, and shrink wrapping. Of course you also have to factor in shipping and all the other supplies you need to get the product out the door.

"The object of this invention is to record in permanent characters the human voice and other sounds, from which characters such sounds may be reproduced and rendered audible again at a future time." U.S. Patent No. 200,521, Feb. 19, 1878.
Voxxy Brown Offline
Custom Tittle

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand these pressured selling tactics. Mad Cool
...the other WATYF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY THE DAMN CD VOXXY!!!!

Once you buy it, it'll all be over, everyone will be happy, and you can listen to it once and decide that you can do better and write a hit song and put it on the next comp and it'll get heard by an A&R guy who'll give you a record contract and you'll become rich and famous and everyone will want to know you including Jamal.

Now, isn't all that worth 12 measly dollars and 30 seconds of your time?

Voxxy Brown Offline
Custom Tittle

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shut up. I bought it before making that last post. I won't listen to it though!!!

Razz Wink

DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this personal vendetta against paypal, but i'm funna bring my check book to work tomorrow and get down! Cool
Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voxxy Brown wrote:
Oh shut up. I bought it before making that last post. I won't listen to it though!!!

Razz Wink

Oh, come on - listen to 21 seconds of each song, and you'll be done in seven minutes, your hyperness.

Your story about the Sloan "tour" doesn't convince me either - we're talking about the guy who stands up from the drum kit and walks away 3 minutes into a jam, leaving the rest of us to figure out whether to keep playing or not...

Razz

Daf

The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops.

- St. John Chrysostom
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ....... I've been meaning to do the check thing but I've just been to lazy to get it done. By this weekend the check'll be in the mail.

Oh by the way ....... how many of you have t-shirts? If you're gonna write a check ...... get a t-shirt to go with that CD.
Smile

Voxxy Brown Offline
Custom Tittle

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a shirt too.. I don't wear it though. LOL Too big.
On a Break

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHA

Good lord voxxy ...... so if you don't use the things you buy ...... I guess they never wear out!
LOL ..... that's a pretty good plan. Maybe if you'd have just parked your Focus .....

scrubs Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how many CDs did we sell this week?
pathdoc2 Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here and just ordered a CD. Can't wait to see/hear what everyone's talking about. I have a few tunes I'd submit for the next project.
Emeric Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pathdoc2, much appreciated. Hope you enjoy it!
Swivelrocker Offline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Beating some dead horses, cause they ain't dead... Reply with quote

Hey, I've bought both HR Cd's, as well as the RP CD. I can definitely see a marked improvement throughout all three CD's, so I know I will have no quams (haha spelling?) about forking some hard earned dough out for a second RP CD.

Believe you me, it is harned earned Dough when the dollar here is a frickin pittance there, not to mention the real whole wheat bread pretty much doesnt exist here...

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> RP Compilation CD All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: