You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Making a big move (from FL to Sonar)...
View previous topic :: View next topic 
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Making a big move (from FL to Sonar)... Reply with quote

I'm pretty much fed up with FL not being able to handle my new needs so I'm thinking of a switch to sonar 4. Of course no time in the near future, seeing as though I'm short about 400 bucks, but I'm actually gonna research it before I make the purchase.

The main things I'm need are...
multiple tempos
more flexable drum sequencers
better fx

I'm now getting to the point where I can calculate my learning curve of a new software (2-3 months, pretty long, but still good). Anyone know where I can get a demo of Sonar 4 Producer Editon?

kgirl72 Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.cakewalk.com

I don't know if it's producer edition though.

www.youtube.com/kf10126
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm there now, just saw the PE video and I'm pretty much ready to shell out the money... as I look through the webstore, I see special discounts for registered members... Is anyone that is registered willing to pay for me (I send you the money via paypal + a "usage fee")??? If so, send me a PM! THANKS!
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just saw the sonar 4 video with sound and I've realized that I NEED IT! I'm in love!!! AHHHHHHH, dammit, now I've gotta save money... Crying or Very sad
Themarduk900 Offline
Amazing Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonar 4 is an amazing piece of software.
corg Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I dont mean to be the person who is too good for the law, but why dont you try it before spending way big bucks? I have paid for software in the past, but never without trying it. ESPECIALLY for a real big purchase like that. Stuff like photoshop and all, I did really purchase, but only after downloading a copy and seeing that it fit my needs and that I could understand it. Then I got a good student discount through my school. Check with your school man, they might be able to help you out. Again, Im not suggesting doing anything wrong, but you should know what you are buying.
kgirl72 Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely, as a high school student, you should be eligible for an academic discount, and you can search for it in some academic websites. I just bought something through this website...

http://www.ccvsoftware.com/c/@KU9tlx8y0yDjY/Pages/product.html?record@CDCW931

Corg, he can use a trial version through the cakewalk site, also. But, whatever on that issue...

Now, the site I linked you to says the only software titles high school students can't really buy are Microsoft and Corel. That does not include Cakewalk, so if you can send them some sort of identification, you should be good to go. There's tons of sites like this one. I just happened to use this one about a week ago, that's all.

-K

www.youtube.com/kf10126
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25, Mate,

Mate.. if you want to save a few $$$, check out Cakewalk Home Studio... I think they both use the same audio enging, just HS has a few less features.. depending on your set up and what they have it might be worth it to you... that plus down the track if you do want to upgrade to Sonar, you get a discounted upgrade price..

Just a thought,

Porter
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is a 650 dollar discount if you're a registered user. THATS why I'm hoping one of you you guys would that are registered cakewalkers would help me out! Seriously, any takers?
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap! I totally forgot about studica!!! Its on their for less than 400! THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!

http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=11313

kgirl72 Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if some registered user gets their copy of cakewalk for you, it COULD eliminate their possibility of them getting their own copy later, I'm not sure. Good price on studica. Didn't know about that site. Nice link.
www.youtube.com/kf10126
mr goody Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!

i use a copy of home studio 2002 that i got on ebay for about 30 bucks. home studio xl. the xl means you get a cd with cheesy loops. maybe theres some other reason to get xl i dont know.

home studio works great for me. it even came with a stripped-down fruity loops that i like a lot.

home studio is just a fraction of the cost of sonar.

thrillastilla Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonar is a program you can grow and be flexible in, if you never expect to grow, then you shouldn't spend the money on sonar. i've been writing for about 12 years now, and sonar has everything i need and more... there is nothing i have not been able to do in sonar...

Myspace: myspace.com/timelesssoldierproductions
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly thrilla, I'm growing out of FL, and plan on growing more. AMBITION! Home studio is just a bit better, if not exactly the same as, than FL I'm sure from what I've seen in the specs, screen images. Sonar is pretty much looking like the program for me. When I eventually (no time in the near future) move to Mac, I'm gonna either take that with me of hit up Logic (whatever version is out when I decide). I hear that is pretty much on par with Sonar. As soon as my next few paychecks add up to 500 bucks, I'm picking that and someother goodies up!
kgirl72 Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! You'll love it. You'll still be able to combine your FL in some fashion for awhile, too, while you're learning.
www.youtube.com/kf10126
mr goody Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i record audio only in home studio so i dont know what the differences are if youre doing midi and loops and stuff.

i sampled my own drum kit and use fruity loops to sequence. then i export a wav file and import that to home studio. i used to do live drums but i cant keep a steady beat.

then i just do audio from there. i dont think there would be much reason for me to upgrade to sonar.

is there any reason for me to upgrade??

the screenshots for sonar sure look a lot cooler!

on the other hand i am very interested in upgrading my fruity loops since i have the old stripped-down free version.

two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fl 5.0 aint worth a damn to be quite honest with you, its no different, actually more difficult to use in my opinion. If you do upgrade your fl, get fl studio 4.x (whichever you chose) producer's edition. The only thing that sucks about that is eventually it will restrict you, but if you're working fine with a stripped down version, 4.x should suffice for a few months.
mr goody Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i checked my version and its fruity loops pro express 2. it has a few features disabled like playing different notes on basses and stuff. you only get one note, C.

but i dont use that stuff.

its by far the easiest drum machine i have ever used. and i like my drum samples better than any others. they sound better with my music. commercial samples are usually eq'ed to death and are really high-impact. most music i like doesnt have drum sounds like that at all.

some of the other sequencers ive seen you have to enter number values for each hit. gives flexibility but its a hassle. i can put the same snare sample on 3 channels with different volumes and mix it up that way.

its so easy.

i will check out 4.x and see if it has any better humanizer stuff cause fills and rolls sound so mechanical. thats what bugs me.

thrillastilla Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's where really the difference is in sonar compared to home studio is the audio flexibility, at least that's how i see it because majority midi programs all have the same features...

Myspace: myspace.com/timelesssoldierproductions
mr goody Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to the fruity loops site and looked real closely at the fl studio descriptions and manual and all that.

i dont think it would do anything more than what i have as far as just being a drum machine for me. it doesnt seem to have anything more for making rolls and fills sound more realistic.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: